Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cold is the kiss of Death.

    The only thing that we can be certain about in this life is, well, death. As cold-hearted as it may seem, it is the truth. It is inevitable, unconquerable and foolproof. Dying doesn't just mean that your organs stop functioning or your heart stops beating. It is the end of life as you know it; it also suggests that you cease to exist. It means all the things you wanted to do and all people you wanted to meet, all your hopes, aspirations and dreams come to an end. 


     What is worse than death? Losing a loved one! There is nothing that compares to the loss of a friend, relative or pet. It is one of the most heart-wrenching and painful experiences of a human's life. The emotional loneliness that one deals with after the person is gone is unbelievable. 


      As ironic as it may seem, death doesn't always have to deal with life coming to an end. It is also very metaphorical. Sometimes a part of you dies; sometimes it is just the death of a vice and the emergence of a new beginning and sometimes it is the death of a relationship. 


      I have experienced two deaths today: One of a very close relative and the other of a very long and old relationship. Both very traumatic and difficult to get over. I'm sure over time I'll get over the fact that the cold hands of death snatched my relative away. However, it's going to be difficult to come to terms with the fact that it probably is time to let an old relationship go for no fault of mine. 


     I wish them both the best in the after-life and life, in general. I hope someday down the line, we can meet and sit and talk like the good old times. I hope we see how futile it was to ponder over the mundane things.


    I love you both from the bottom of my heart. I release you and wish you well! 




                      I have no will to weep or sing,
                      No least desire to pray or curse;
                      The loss of love is a terrible thing;
                      They lie who say that death is worse



                                                                          --Cullen


    

7 comments:

Jason said...

Well, like the old great poet, Cookva Pawsva once reminded me of an even older saying... “Time heals all.”

I also leave you with the words of those great lyricists & poets – Chumbawumba

I get knocked down...

But, I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down!

Love always,
Jason

Cookiespaws said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cookiespaws said...

Thanks a lot J :)

Amit S. Joshi said...

Do you at some level feel better about dealing with such tough, adamant and tiring emotions after you write about them?
Does it clean the cobwebs in the mind?

Cookiespaws said...

@Amit: I guess so. I think once I've written down how I feel, there's no going back. There's a lot of acceptance after that and words are such strong entities ...they have the power to help you overcome a lot of things! And YES! it does clear those cobwebs in my mind .... it is liberating :)

Nike said...

It's an interesting concept how things always come in pairs - they always do. No matter what it is, good news, bad news, no news, news about news side-stepping you, news about news.. it's always in pairs. The funny thing is, we hardly ever pause, to freeze frame our life, step back and take a look at it from a different, outside perspective and we lose sight of one of the two and focus on one.

That's why I love photography - it gives you a chance to put your thoughts in technical terms - freeze frame, fast shutter, step back, change your angle, re-adjust the frame, measure the light, focus on the subject, blur the foreground... so many things relate to life..

Don't want to write my own blog here (though this is a topic I want to blog about !) but I think in a way, photography helps break the gloomy embrace of death. It helps you look back at good times, it reminds you of all the fun you've had and it also gives you a way to look at the past and know, that it was the past and keep your eyes open for whats happening now.

The departure of a relationship and the death of a loved one are similar on more levels than one and I'm truly sorry for your loss. But as a good photographer should, you need to keep your eyes open in the present and look for the next beautiful future moment - although, you can always take a peek at old memories you've locked away and smile and blink away those tears you don't want to spill over your eyes...

Cookiespaws said...

@Adi: Thank you so much! You should seriously start blogging too .....you write so well :)